Dan’s clients include investors, property owners, financial institutions, entrepreneurs, estates, trusts, beneficiaries, professional persons and high-tech businesses. He has helped resolve claims by creditors and disputed investments, claims over business assets, shareholder and partnership interests and commercial property, disputed wills, trusts and related claims.
Dan has for many years served a leadership role, completing lengthy terms on the boards of Arthritis Research Canada and Operation Eyesight Universal – Canada. These highly efficient non-governmental organizations improve countless lives annually. He continues to provide pro bono support to both organizations.
An entrepreneur himself, in 2004 Dan co-founded a Vancouver-based e-commerce business at mytripjournal.com, in which he developed successful business relationships with companies in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
Dan also serves a leadership role in the profession. This has included serving on the Board of Governors of the Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia and participating as a writer, organizer and speaker at legal education conferences and seminars.
Born and raised in Ontario, Dan enjoys foreign languages and singing four-part a cappella harmony.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- Undergraduate Studies, Université de Montréal and University of Western Ontario
- British Columbia, 1991
- Alberta, 1986
- Operation Eyesight Universal (Canada) – Chair 2012-2015, Board of Directors, Board member 2008-2015 and 2018-present. Served on numerous committees.
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC – Board of Governors 2013-17. Has served on various committees since 2010. Has chaired or co-chaired numerous commercial and estates law conferences since 2005 on real property litigation, , estates, interlocutory relief, pressure tactics and equitable remedies. Appeared many times as speaker.
- Arthritis Research Canada – Chair 2014-17, Board of Directors, Board member 2010-17. Served on governance and finance committees. Pro bono legal consultant.
- badsciencewatch.ca – watchdog organization. Member, Board of Advisors, 2012-17.
- Vancouver Learning Centre for special needs children. Member, Board of Advisors, 2010-17.
- BusinessLawBlog.ca – Founder and co-editor.
- MyTripJournal Technologies Inc. – President 2006-09.
- DuMoulin Boskovich LLP – Associate then Partner 1993-2006.
- Freeman & Company – Associate 1990-93.
- Bennett Jones – Articled then Associate 1986-89.
- French, Spanish and Italian
- “Principles of Tracing: Real Estate Litigation”
- “Use and Abuse of Certificates of Pending Litigation”
- “Ending Commercial Tenancies”
- “Joint Retainers – Planning For Potential Conflicts”
- “New Rule Change on Document Discovery will Affect Litigants’ Rights and Counsel’s Ethical Responsibility”
- “Empowering Canadian Corporations to Limit Personal Liability of Directors”
- “Uncertainties Inherent in Synthetic CDOs / Credit Default Swaps”
- “Executor Conflict of Interest and the Administrator Pendente Lite”
- “Demand Futility in Derivative Action Cases”
- “Wills Variation and the Blended Family: Who Wins, Who Loses?”
- “Wills Variation Claims Involving Independent Adult Children”
- “The Prospects of a Successful Claim Against Auditors in Fraud”